Every business in America is looking for ways to improve its bottom line, which for too many has meant putting environmental initiatives on the backburner.
It doesn’t have to be that way. Going green can support your efforts to get your financials back in the black. And, at a time when many team members are feeling high levels of stress (will their jobs exist tomorrow?), these activities remind us of the bigger picture and add perspective. Nature has a way of making one’s personal issues feel small.
Taking steps to be more eco-friendly uplifts spirits as well as dollars. Who doesn’t want to make a difference for the better? While each action individually may be small, taken together, they make a real difference.
Need Ideas? Just Remember the 4 R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Respect
Here are some things we’ve been doing here at Greteman Group. You know how fast we run, so if we can find time to take these simple actions, you can, too.
Recycling through ProKansas (drop off at site)
- Books and Magazines
- Toner Cartridges
Recycling through Shred-It
- No Styrofoam – use ceramic cups, plates and silverware
- No disposable stirring sticks – real spoons
- Buy creamer, sugar and coffee in bulk containers.
- Purchase cans rather than plastic beverage containers.
- Replace recessed lighting bulbs with 65-watt CFL energy efficient bulbs.
- Use doublesided photocopying and printing when possible.
- Place recycle bins near printers to encourage employees and make it easy to recycle paper.
- Set up computers for automatic sleep, saving money and time.
- Ask to be removed from unwanted mailing lists, catalogs and free magazine subscriptions.
- Encourage team members to reduce junk mail at home by having their names removed through Mail Preference Service.
- Reuse file folders.
- Buy materials with recycled content when possible.
- Adjust thermostats throughout office for day and night temps.
- Swap unwanted or unused items among team members. After all, one’s junk is another’s treasure.
- Share laughter as much as possible. It lightens your load, reduces wheelspinning and lubricates friction points – all big energy drains.
Looking for Inspiration?
Plan to take in the sure-to-be-award-winning movie “Earth,” released on Earth Day. Its rare and stunning images will give you new respect for this planet we call home. As an added plus, a tree will be planted for each ticket sold this week.