July 11, 2013
Wichita Business Journal
The Wichita Business Journal is looking forward to its 16th year of honoring 40 community members who are leading businesses and contributing to their community — all before their 40th birthdays.
We’ll honor this year’s 40 Under 40 class on Aug. 1. (Register here.)
It’s a can’t-miss event partly because it offers a sneak peek at a new generation of Wichita leaders. Some are already prominent and well known, but with many honorees, you get the feeling that the best is yet to come.
A few examples from the first 40 Under 40 class illustrate the point. We’re publishing their original 1998 profiles on our website for the first time today. Find links to their profiles in the list below, which includes the honoree’s name and employer at the time they were recognized, or in the slideshow to the right.
We’ll post another 40 Under 40 class on each business day from now until Aug. 1, when the class of 2013 profiles will be published. Check out the class of 1998. I suspect you’ll see many names you recognize, even if you weren’t in Wichita when these individuals were recognized. People like Walter Berry, Brad Clothier, Jane Deterding, Sonia Greteman, George Laham and Scott Redler are arguably more influential today than they were in 1998.
We think the class of 2013 has the same kind of potential. We’re excited to see what they do next.
40 Under 40 Class of 1998:
(Name and employer are as of the date the individuals were honored)
- Craig Anderson, UMB Bank
- Matt Arst, Goldsmith’s Inc.
- Carol Beier, Foulston & Siefkin LLP
- Walter Berry, Berry Cos. Inc.
- Vera Bothner, Sullivan Higdon & Sink
- Melvin Carter III, Boys and Girls Clubs of South Central Kansas
- M. Lance Chastain, Interex Inc.
- John Clevenger, Commerce Bank
- Bradley Clothier, Preferred Health Systems
- Alan Cobb, Koch Industries Inc.
- Sam Cohlmia, Wichita Ophthalmology
- Teri Coppoc, Commerce Bank
- Katy Cramer, United Way of the Plains
- Jeff DeGraffenreid, Foulston & Siefkin LLP
- Jane Deterding, Foulston Conlee Schmidt & Emerson LLP
- Steven Falke, Cornerstone Studios, Crimson Heart Records, Golden Plains Publishing
- Sonia Greteman, Greteman Group
- C.R. Hall, Hall’s Culligan Water
- Pancho Hall, Pepsi-Cola
- Marci Hess, Downtown Wichita Association Inc.
- Kenneth Jack, Davis & Jack LLC
- J.V. Johnston, Johnston Clothiers
- Greg Klenda, Klenda Mitchell Austerman & Zuercher LLC
- Ann Foley Konecny, Foley Tractor Co. Inc.
- George Laham, Laham Development Co.
- John Lewis, Lewis & Mills DDS PA
- Gaylyn McGregor, NationsBank
- Brad Minear, Preferred Health Systems
- Julie Mitchell, Grene Vision Group
- Steve Onken, Emprise Bank
- Cindy Otte, NationsBank
- Katie Partridge, Stevens Enterprises Inc.
- Roger Ramseyer, Koch Industries Inc.
- Scott Redler, Timberline Steakhouse & Grill
- Donald Sherman, Force-1 Security Corp.
- Jeff Smith, Sharp Services Inc.
- Jim Tackett, Southwestern Bell
- Dave Wells, Key Construction Inc.
- James Wiebe, Newer Technology Inc.
- Sheryl Wohlford, Automation-Plus Inc.
© Wichita Business Journal, 2013